Call 314-724-5059

Traffic Tickets and Moving Violations

Call St. Louis traffic law attorney Andrea Storey Rogers today at (314) 724-5059.

Not all traffic tickets are moving violations. Speeding tickets are traffic tickets that are moving violations, but a traffic ticket for failure to register your vehicle is a non-moving violation.

The difference between moving violations and non-moving violations is that moving violations cause points to be added to your driving record, while non-moving violations just require you to pay a fine. Too many points will lead to a suspension or revocation of your driver's license.

How Many Points Do You Receive For Moving Violations?

A moving violation traffic ticket, such as a speeding ticket, issued by a city or county police officer will cause 2 points to be added to your driving record. A speeding ticket issued by a Missouri state trooper is a state violation and will cause 3 points to be added to your driving record.

If you accumulate 8 points within 18 months, your Missouri driver's license will be suspended, if it's your first suspension. Your license will be revoked for 1 year if you accumulate 12 points within 12 months, 18 points within 24 months, or 24 points within 36 months.

Examples of Missouri Moving Violations & Non-Moving Violations

Here are some examples of common Missouri moving violations and the points assessed for each:

    • Speeding = 2 points (city/county) 3 points (state)
    • Running a red light = 2 points
    • Careless & imprudent driving = 2 points
    • Failure to maintain a single lane = 2 points
    • Following too close = 2 points
    • Failure to yield= 2 points
    • Leaving scene of accident = 6 points (city/county) 12 points (state)
    • Operating vehicle without a license = 2 points
    • Permitting unlicensed driver to drive = 4 points
    • No Insurance (failure to maintain financial responsibility) = 4 points
    • DWI (alcohol) or DUI (drugs) = 8 points for 1st offense
    • Driving while suspended or revoked = 12 points

Following are examples of non-moving, no-point violations:

    • Failure to register vehicle
    • Expired license plates
    • Seat belt violation
    • Illegal Parking
    • Defective Muffler

An Attorney Can Keep Moving Violations Off Your Record

A traffic law attorney can get your moving violation traffic ticket reduced to "Illegal Parking," which is a non-moving violation that does not cause points to be added to your driving record. If your traffic ticket is reduced to a non-moving violation, your insurance company will never know you received the ticket.

You will have to pay a fine and court costs for any moving violation that is reduced to a non-moving violation, and the fine after the ticket is reduced will be slightly higher than the original fine.

Can a Lawyer Get Non-Moving Violations Dismissed?

A lawyer can get some non-moving violations such as "No Insurance" or "Failure to Register Vehicle" dismissed, if you can provide proof that you have purchased insurance and properly registered your vehicle. Expect to pay a fine and court costs in exchange for the dismissal of your tickets.

Driving Without Insurance is a Moving Violation in Missouri

If the vehicle you are driving is not insured at the time you are pulled over, or it is insured but you don't have the current insurance card with you, the police officer will issue a ticket for "No Insurance," "Fail to Provide Proof of Insurance," or "Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility" and 4 points will be added to your driving record.

If you are involved in an accident in a vehicle that is not insured and you fail to pay for the damage to the other vehicle, the court will suspend your driver's license.

How to Get a No Insurance Ticket Dismissed

Most courts will dismiss a "No Insurance" ticket if you go to court and show proof of insurance to the judge. If you were not insured at the time of the traffic stop but you purchased insurance afterward, some courts will reduce your "No Insurance" ticket to "Illegal Parking."

You will have to pay a fine and court costs for a "No Insurance" ticket, and the fine will be higher if you can't prove that your vehicle was insured at the time you were pulled over. Call the court clerk and ask what their policy is regarding "No Insurance" tickets, or hire an attorney to handle it for you.

How to Get "Improper Registration" or "Expired Plates" Tickets Dismissed

Tickets for "Expired Plates," "Failure to Register Vehicle," or "Improper Registration" can be dismissed if you show proof to the court that you have properly registered your vehicle and obtained current license plates and tags. As with "No Insurance" tickets, if you provide proof of current registration and proper plates, most judges will dismiss your ticket or reduce it to "Illegal Parking."

Many courts will allow you to go to court and show proof of registration to the judge on your own, without assistance of an attorney, but you should call the court clerk ahead of time to ask if this is allowed. If you are not allowed to go to court and show proof of registration to the judge, you can hire an attorney to get the ticket dismissed for you.


  1. Lynn on May 23, 2014 at 3:00 pm

    If a state trooper in missouri issued a following too close to a vehicle ticket, can that be reduced with a lawyer so that you don’t get points or have your insurance increase.

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on May 23, 2014 at 3:17 pm

      Yes, if you hire an experienced traffic law attorney, it is very likely that a “Following Too Closely” ticket issued by a state trooper can be amended to a non-moving, no-point violation, which will not affect your driving record or insurance rates.

  2. Cindy on June 4, 2014 at 8:58 pm

    I was issued a speeding ticket in Missouri on 5-29-14, but the officer wrote the ticket for 5-29-15, is this grounds for dismissal & if so what steps do I need to take to get it dismissed?

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on June 4, 2014 at 9:18 pm

      No, that is not grounds for dismissal of your speeding ticket. The police officer can correct any errors on the ticket at any time, up to and including the date of trial. If you want to avoid having points added to your driving record for this ticket, hire a traffic ticket lawyer to get it reduced to a non-moving, no-point violation. I would be happy to give you a price quote for legal representation.

  3. steven on July 19, 2014 at 11:27 pm

    I was pulled over by a city police who drive in the opposite direction and been told I was speeding. I was been told that speeding over 14mph in the 30mph street. I was following the traffic and didnt notice how fast I went. This is my first time getting the ticket. Is it possible to reduce to a non-point violation?

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on July 20, 2014 at 8:46 am

      Yes, it is possible to get your St. Louis City speeding ticket amended to a non-moving, no-point violation that won’t affect your driving record or insurance rates.

  4. jasmine on October 12, 2015 at 6:00 pm

    Can you get a no insurance ticket taken off your record without a lawyer. Can you do it through a defensive driving school.

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on October 12, 2015 at 6:30 pm

      In Missouri, many courts allow defendants to take the DIP (Driver Improvement Program) class to remove points from their driving record. Call the court clerk to see if that court automatically allows the DIP class to be used. Some courts automatically approve it, while others require defendants to appear in court to ask the judge for permission to take the DIP class. If the judge allows the DIP class, you will have to plead guilty (sometimes an in-person court appearance is required) and pay the fine, then complete the DIP class within 60 days after the conviction date. Missouri drivers are allowed to take the DIP class only once every 3 years, and you can’t take the DIP class if you have a CDL (commercial driver’s license). PLEASE NOTE: If you complete the DIP class, the points will be removed from your driving record, but your insurance company will still be able to see that you received the speeding ticket. Therefore, your insurance rates may increase even after taking the DIP class and having the points removed.

  5. Caprice on December 3, 2015 at 12:10 pm

    I got a speeding ticket on Feb 14th I believe in 2013. Can the insurance company raise the rates even if I’m a part time driver on the policy with my parents?.

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on December 3, 2015 at 12:26 pm

      Yes, the insurance company can raise the rates even if you are just a part-time driver on your parents’ insurance policy. Any time a moving violation conviction shows up on a person’s driving record, most insurance companies will use that as an excuse to increase the insurance rates.

      • Caprice on December 3, 2015 at 12:32 pm

        Then after 3 years it goes away and rates go back to normal if no other moving violations occur?.

      • Caprice on December 3, 2015 at 1:08 pm

        My parents are taking my mom’s old car off the insurance and adding her new car. Would they know about the ticket then.

  6. Andrew on December 7, 2015 at 1:10 pm

    I got a spending ticket in the state of Missouri in a construction zone. I had mandatory court date. There were other people who got tickets the same day as I. Some had attorneys some did not, The ones with no attorney the fines were $198.00 out the door. Myself had an attorney and mind was $398.00 and plus attorney fee’s of $125.00 no points. So should I have just went to court represented myself took the points? How many point do you get for speeding in a construction zone? I was going 13 over. I have no points on my record. or was a Lawyer the right thing to do. You help is appreciated. Thanks

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on December 7, 2015 at 8:17 pm

      Construction zone speeding tickets are assessed the same number of points as a regular speeding ticket: either 2 points or 3 points, depending on whether they are a municipal violation or a state violation. So, if a state trooper gave you the ticket, that’s a state violation and it’s a 3-point ticket. It sounds like the people who were in court who did not have an attorney and only paid $198 were pleading guilty and received points on their driving record (and their insurance rates probably increased, as well). Since you hired an attorney to get your ticket amended to a non-moving violation, you had to pay more, but you won’t have points on your driving record and your insurance rates won’t increase. All courts in Missouri charge more when they agree to amend a ticket to a non-moving violation. In most courts, you can’t get a speeding ticket amended to a non-moving violation unless you hire an attorney to represent you.

  7. Andrew on December 8, 2015 at 7:14 am

    Thanks for your answer. One more question my ticket says that there was construction worker present at the time of my ticket. However there were no construction workers present. I told my attorney about that she would bring it up with the prosecutor. When I was standing in front of the judge I was trying to bring that issue up and I was quickly hushed. I was told I was getting a big break. Should my attorney tried to relate this to the judge? Overall it was a humbling experience, I never been to court it make me want to go down and just sit and listen to some of the cases. Thanks Again.

  8. Destiny on March 30, 2016 at 4:15 pm

    If my mother’s ran a red light and the car is in mine and her name would it fall on me the tag is in her name right now with me as co-owner. Because I would like to get her removed off of my car

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on March 30, 2016 at 7:54 pm

      If a red light camera ticket was issued, the ticket would be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle. If your mother received a traffic ticket issued in person by a police officer, then your mother is responsible for the ticket.

  9. Billdoe on June 15, 2016 at 4:30 pm

    My girlfriend was written a ticket by a city policeman for failure to obey a traffic control device, (not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign). She was told she could pay the ticket in advance to avoid losing a day at work. She was told it would cost about $60.00 but when writing the check she found that it was actually $102.00. The court date is in a couple of days. Can she get the ticket reduced, (no pionts or insurance increase) even though she paid the ticket in advance at city hall?

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on June 18, 2016 at 7:03 am

      Since she already pleaded guilty to the traffic ticket by paying the fine, her only option (if she wants to get the ticket reduced to a non-moving violation) is to hire an attorney to withdraw her guilty plea and get her ticket reduced to a non-moving, no-point violation that won’t affect her driving record or insurance rates.

  10. Heena on July 26, 2016 at 3:27 pm

    I got a careless driving ticket in city of Magee, MI. I was driving 90 miles in 70 miles zone. Cop pulled over and said somebody called that I am speeding and he gave careless driving ticket. Cop said, either pay the fine or take appointment and appear in the court. Is this a misdemeanor ? Will it be on my driving record if I pay the fine? Will it appear when prospective employers do criminal background check ? Thanks.

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on August 4, 2016 at 8:01 am

      If you received a careless driving ticket in Michigan, you need to hire an attorney licensed in Michigan to represent you. Try to find a traffic law attorney who practices in the city or county where your ticket was issued. Whether it’s a misdemeanor or not depends on which type of court issued the ticket (state circuit court or municipal court). More serious traffic convictions like DUIs convictions do show up on your driving record and on your criminal background report, but standard traffic convictions do not show up on your criminal background check.

  11. heena on August 16, 2016 at 4:12 pm

    Thank you, Andrea. Sorry it was typo on state code, it’s in Mississippi (MS), city of magee.

  12. Jessica on September 8, 2016 at 10:37 am

    If it’s amended down to a no-points speeding, rather than a non-moving violation, can insurance rates still go up from the ticket?

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on September 8, 2016 at 10:50 am

      Yes, it’s possible that the insurance company can increase your rates if they see the “no-point speeding” conviction. I have asked the Missouri Dept. of Revenue (Driver’s License Bureau) this question several times in the past and they told me that, if an attorney gets the ticket amended to a no-point speeding conviction, the insurance company can’t see it. But if no attorney is involved, the insurance company may be able to see the no-point speeding conviction. That makes no sense to me, but that’s what the DOR told me on several occasions. I have handled many tickets for clients over the years, including speeding tickets that the Prosecutor amended to “no-point speeding,” and I have never had a client tell me that getting their ticket amended to “no-point speeding” caused them any problems.

  13. Conner on September 9, 2016 at 1:16 pm

    Hi. I recently received an expired registration ticket on my parked car. After speaking with a police officer in Kansas I was told they only ticket moving vehicles, but i cannot find the information online regarding Missouri law.
    Can I be ticketed for expired registration on a non-moving vehicle?

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on September 12, 2016 at 8:25 am

      In Missouri, you can have a car parked in your driveway with expired plates and a police officer can legally issue a ticket for expired registration. The car does not have to be moving at the time. You can either 1) get the car registered and take proof of registration to court on your court date, show the judge your proof of registration and they may dismiss the ticket, 2) you can hire an attorney to do that for you, or 3) you can just plead guilty and pay the fine. In Missouri it is a non-moving, no-point violation, so you won’t receive points on your Missouri driving record if you choose to plead guilty to this expired plates ticket.

  14. Howi on January 27, 2017 at 8:49 am

    Does the officer who issues a speeding ticket have to sign the ticket.

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on January 27, 2017 at 9:18 am

      No, the police officer who issues a speeding ticket does not have to sign the ticket, and the driver who received the ticket is not required to sign the ticket.

Leave a Comment