Call 314-724-5059

Hardship License (Limited Driving Privilege)

Call St. Louis traffic law attorney Andrea Storey Rogers today at (314) 724-5059.

What Is a Hardship License (Limited Driving Privilege)?

If you receive a traffic ticket for "Driving While Suspended" or "Driving While Revoked," 12 points will be added to your driving record and your Missouri driver's license will be revoked for 1 year. If your driver’s license has been revoked or suspended, you may be able to get a Limited Driving Privilege (sometimes called a "Hardship License" or LDP) so you can drive to work, the grocery store, etc.

How to Get a Hardship License in Missouri

You must file an application with the Missouri Department of Revenue to request a Limited Driving Privilege (Hardship License). The application form for a Limited Driving Privilege can be found on the Missouri Department of Revenue's website (it's Form #4595) or you can pick one up at any Missouri DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) office.

Along with the application for a Limited Driving Privilege, you must also send a "compliance letter." A compliance letter is proof from the court that you paid the fine and court costs for your Driving While Suspended ticket. You must specifically request a compliance letter from the court; it will not be mailed to you automatically after you pay your fine.

Send the compliance letter to the Driver License Bureau in Jefferson City, MO, along with your application for Limited Driving Privilege and proof that you have obtained insurance. (This is sometimes called SR-22 insurance, because that's the name of the form that is filed. Your insurance agent can file the SR-22 form with the Department of Revenue for you.)

Where to Mail Your Application For a Hardship License

Once you have proof of insurance, a compliance letter from the court, and the completed application for a Limited Driving Privilege, send everything to:

Missouri Dept. of Revenue - Driver License Bureau
301 West High Street
Jefferson City, MO 65105

It usually takes 5 to 7 days to receive your Limited Driving Privilege Notice in the mail. You should keep a copy of that notice with you at all times when you drive.

Your Hardship License Will be Revoked if You Receive a Conviction for Speeding 

Your Hardship License will be revoked if you receive a conviction for speeding or any other traffic violation. If you get the ticket amended to a non-moving, no-point violation, you won't lose your Hardship License. If instead you choose to plead guilty to the traffic violation, you will lose your Hardship License and you will have to re-apply for a Hardship License.

How to Get a Hardship License If You Have a 5-Year or 10-Year Denial of Driving Privileges in Missouri

If you have a 5-year or 10-year denial of driving privileges, you will have to hire an attorney to file a petition with the associate circuit court where you live or work in order to obtain a Limited Driving Privilege. If you have certain types of convictions on your driving record, or if you have already received a Limited Driving Privilege within the past 5 years, you will not be eligible to obtain one. Click here for more information about obtaining a Missouri Limited Driving Privilege.

*Please Note:  As of July 5, 2013, Missouri law changed, making it easier for some drivers to obtain a Hardship License. For example, if you have a 10-year denial, you would normally have to wait 3 years to apply for a Hardship License, but now you may only have to wait 45 days. You can contact the Missouri Department of Revenue at (573) 751-4475 for more information and to ask if you are eligible for a Hardship License.

Call St. Louis traffic attorney Andrea Storey Rogers at (314) 724-5059 for more information, or click on the email icon at the top of this page to send Andrea an email, or fill out the email form on the Home page.

The information on this page was updated on September 5, 2013.