Call 314-724-5059

Driving While Suspended or Driving While Revoked

Call St. Louis traffic law attorney Andrea Storey Rogers today at (314) 724-5059.

Your Driver's License Will be Suspended or Revoked if You Accumulate Too Many Points on Your Driving Record

Your driver’s license will be suspended if you accumulate too many points on your driving record within a certain period of time. If you accumulate 8 points within 18 months, your driver’s license will be suspended for 30 days. Your license will be revoked for 1 year if you accumulate 12 points within 12 months, 18 points within 24 months, or 24 points within 36 months.

If you knowingly continue to drive after your driver’s license has been suspended, canceled, or revoked, you can be charged with “Driving While Revoked” (DWR).

A Traffic Law Attorney Can Keep Points Off Your Driving Record

If your license is suspended because you failed to pay fines for speeding tickets or other traffic tickets, then you can hire St. Louis traffic attorney Andrea Storey Rogers to negotiate a plea bargain with the court to get your speeding tickets amended to non-moving violations, which will reduce the amount of points on your driving record, and the suspension will be canceled. This is sometimes called "getting a ticket fixed" or "beating a speeding ticket."

A Guilty Plea Can be Withdrawn in Some Cases

Many drivers receive speeding tickets and promptly pay the fines without realizing how many points they have on their driving record. If you have already pleaded guilty and paid your fines, then in some situations it is possible for an attorney to file a motion to withdraw your guilty plea and negotiate a plea bargain with the court to have those tickets amended to non-moving violations with no points. Most judges will not agree to withdraw a guilty plea if too much time has passed since you pleaded guilty, or if you were represented by an attorney at the time of your guilty plea.

Keep Track of How Many Points Are on Your Driving Record

Points remain active on your driving record for only 18 months. After that time, those points no longer count toward a suspension of your license.

To find out how many points you currently have on your driving record, call:

Missouri Department of Revenue
Jefferson City, Missouri
(573) 526-2407 ext. 2

For most speeding tickets issued by a city, county, or municipal police officer, 2 points are added to your driving record. If the ticket was issued by a state police officer, 3 points are added to your driving record. For a "No Insurance" traffic ticket, 4 points are assessed. First-time convictions for "Driving While Intoxicated" or "Driving Under the Influence of Drugs" cause 8 points to be added.

You can also go to this page of the Missouri Department of Revenue website to find out how many points are assessed for speeding tickets and other traffic violations.

Your Driver's License Can be Suspended For Many Reasons

In addition to having your license suspended because of an accumulation of too many points on your driving record, here are some other reasons your driver’s license can be suspended:

  • refusal to comply with a court order
  • failure to pay child support
  • failure to maintain car insurance
  • failure to pay for damages to the other driver’s car if you cause an accident
  • refusal to take a breathalyzer test if you are arrested for drunk driving (DWI)
  • refusal to take a drug test if instructed by a law enforcement officer to do so
  • if under age 21 and convicted of drug possession
  • if under age 18 and convicted of using or possessing alcohol

You May be Able to Get a Hardship License if Your License is Suspended

An attorney can help you appeal the suspension in court and can provide you with information regarding how to obtain a Limited Driving Privilege (“Hardship License”) and get your driver’s license reinstated. See this page of my website for detailed information about how to get a Hardship License in Missouri.

Call St. Louis traffic lawyer Andrea Storey Rogers at (314) 724-5059 if you have received a ticket for Driving While Suspended and would like to discuss your case with an attorney. Or click on the email icon at the top of this page to send Andrea an email about your case.