Call 314-724-5059

Minor in Possession (MIP)

Call St. Louis MIP lawyer Andrea Storey Rogers today at (314) 724-5059.

“MIP” or “Minor in Possession” (also called “Minor in Possession by Consumption”) is a misdemeanor in Missouri.  You can be charged with an MIP in Missouri if you are under age 21 and:

  • you are caught purchasing or attempting to purchase alcohol,
  • you are in possession of alcohol,
  • you are visibly intoxicated, or
  • you have a blood alcohol content of .02 or more

You can be charged with an MIP in Missouri if you are sitting on the front porch of your friend’s house with an open beer in your hand, riding in a car with an open container of alcohol, or walking home from a party.  If you plead guilty or are convicted of a first-time offense of MIP, your driver’s license will be suspended for 30 days.

Depending on the facts of the case and your prior record, in many situations St. Louis attorney Andrea Storey Rogers can negotiate with the court to amend MIP charges to a lesser offense, and you may only have to pay a fine and court costs.  In some cases, the court may also order you to take a SATOP (Substance Abuse Traffic Offenders Program) class.

If you have already pleaded guilty or were convicted of MIP in Missouri, we can file a petition in court to request that all records of the MIP be expunged (removed) but only if:

  • 1 year has passed since the conviction or guilty plea, or you have reached age 21, and
  • you have had no other alcohol-related offenses, and
  • this was the first time you pleaded guilty or were convicted of MIP.

For more information about MIP charges in Missouri, how to get your driver’s license reinstated after being convicted or pleading guilty to MIP, how to apply for a limited driving privilege (hardship license), or for information about SATOP, see the following Missouri Department of Revenue web page:

Call St. Louis attorney Andrea Storey Rogers at (314) 724-5059 to discuss your case and receive a flat fee price quote for legal representation, or click on the email button at the top of this page and send me an email.