Call 314-724-5059

St. Ann Speed Camera Tickets Are No-Point Infractions

Speed camera tickets issued in St. Ann, Missouri are non-moving, no-point infractions, similar to the infamous St. Louis red-light camera tickets.

St. Ann speed cameras are mounted on vehicles parked on the side of the road, which record drivers who exceed the speed limit in the “school/park zone” on Ashby Road in St. Ann. Tickets are mailed to drivers, rather than being personally issued to the driver by a police officer in the course of a traditional traffic stop.

Speed Camera Tickets Are Legal In Certain Zones

Speed cameras are legal in areas of St. Louis such as school zones, construction zones, “Travel Safe” zones, and other high-traffic areas where it is considered too dangerous for a police officer to pull over a driver and personally issue a traffic ticket.

Some Courts Issue Warrants if You Don’t Pay a Speed Camera Fine

St. Ann Municipal Court – If you don’t pay the fine for a St. Ann speed camera ticket (or red-light camera ticket), the judge can issue a warrant for your arrest.

Bel Ridge Municipal Court – If you appear in court and plead guilty to a speed camera violation but you fail to pay the fine, Bel Ridge will issue a warrant for your arrest.

Cool Valley Municipal Court – If you fail to pay a Cool Valley speed camera ticket, the court will send you two notices, then a summons to appear in court, before finally issuing a warrant.

Pine Lawn Municipal Court has speed cameras but currently does not issue warrants if drivers fail to pay the fines.

Hillsdale Municipal Court issues speed camera tickets but those tickets are not processed through the court’s computer system, so they don’t issue warrants or Failure to Appear charges if a drivers doesn’t pay the fine.

St. Ann Speed Camera Ticket Fines Can Be Paid Online

The fine for a St. Ann speed camera ticket is $126.50, payable online. It may be a bit confusing to drivers who receive one of these speed camera tickets because the ticket states that it is a summons to appear in court, but you can pay the fine online and you don’t have to go to court.

Click here to visit St. Ann Municipal Court’s website. Or, you can call the St. Ann Municipal Court Clerk at (314) 428-6811 if you have any questions about your speed camera ticket.

Too Many Points Will Cause Your Driver’s License To Be Suspended Or Revoked

If you receive a traffic ticket for a moving violation, points will be added to your driving record. Your driver’s license will be suspended or revoked if you accumulate too many points on your driving record within a certain period of time:  12 points within 12 months will cause your license to be revoked for 1 year; 8 points within 18 months will cause your license to be suspended for 30 days, if it’s your first suspension.

For more information, go to this page about driver’s license points and how long points stay on your driving record.

Hire an Attorney To Fight Your Speeding Ticket If It’s a Moving Violation 

For “regular” speeding tickets that are moving violations causing points to be added to your driving record, you can hire a traffic law attorney to get the ticket amended to a non-moving, no-point infraction.

If the ticket is already a no-point, non-moving violation, such as a speed camera ticket or a red-light camera ticket, then my usual recommendation is to pay the fine, thus avoiding the added expense of a trial.

(This blog post was updated on February 14, 2013.)




  1. Karl Warner on August 21, 2012 at 6:43 pm

    I saw a vehicle mounted speed camera on a Bel Ridge Ford Escape taking photos this morning on 170 north not far south of the I-70 exit to Lambert Airport. I don’t think this qualifies as a school, construction or travel safe zone.
    Is it the same story with these tickets, no point infraction? It seems odd that Bel Ridge has any jurisdiction on 170 either?

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on August 21, 2012 at 7:31 pm

      Yes, speed camera tickets in St. Louis are no-point infractions. Many small municipalities in St. Louis border a small portion of a major highway, so the police officers for those municipalities have the right to pull over drivers on short sections of the highways and issue tickets. Speed cameras are often used in areas of high traffic (not just construction zones or “travel safe” zones) where it would be dangerous for the police officer to physically pull over a vehicle and get out of his police car to issue a ticket. If you receive a speed camera ticket in Bel Ridge and you fail to pay the fine by the due date, the court will grant you one continuance and will send you a letter reminding you of the new court date. If you fail to pay by the second court date, then the court will issue a warrant and will file an additional FTA (Failure to Appear) charge against you. In addition, you could be charged an additional warrant fee and FTA fee. I don’t know the amount of each fee in Bel Ridge, but in some courts, it could be as much as $100 for each. If you want more details, I suggest that you contact the court clerk and/or read the actual Bel Ridge ordinance authorizing the use of speed cameras. Some municipalities post their ordinances on line.

  2. Gregg Bynum on October 15, 2012 at 10:38 pm

    My wife recently got a speeding ticket from an automated camera in the Village of Hillsdale. The camera photographed her vehicle and license plate (a non-moving violation), and there were no warning signs posted. The ticket says she is in violation of ordinance #12-01, and she must schedule an appointment to appear in court if she does not pay the fine. It also boldly states, “Failure to pay the fine amount on or before the due date printed on the front of the Notice will result in a Notice to Appear in Court.” So, I am wondering 1) how to find out what the actual Hillsdale ordinance states, and 2) is she legally required to appear in court if she refuses to pay the fine. We’re prepared to pay the fine, but we just feel like we’re getting scammed by the municipality. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on October 16, 2012 at 1:17 am

      You can call the Hillsdale Municipal Court and ask the Court Clerk to tell you where you can find a copy of their city ordinances. They may be posted online. And you can ask what their procedure is for defendants who want to dispute a speed camera ticket. When I recently asked someone in the Hillsdale Municipal Court Clerk’s office if they issue warrants for failure to pay speed camera ticket fines, I was told that the speed camera tickets are not in the court’s computer system, so they couldn’t issue a warrant against a defendant even if they wanted to. Those are the words of an unnamed employee in the Hillsdale Municipal Court, so it was not necessarily the “official” word of the Court, and it may not be accurate. Therefore, before your wife refuses to pay the fine or appear in court, I suggest that she call the Court Clerk’s office herself and ask what will happen if she refuses to pay and doesn’t appear in court on her court date. Good luck.

  3. Cynthia on November 4, 2012 at 1:48 am

    Thanks to Andrea for her diligence in these matters. Some of these Speeding Cameras are a way of gouging normally law abiding Citizens and there is no safeguard against it at this time. I do believe it is all of our responsibility to be safe prudent drivers, at the same time law enforcement doesn’t have to be “Big Brother” on every street at every corner.

  4. Daniel G. on January 6, 2013 at 2:18 am

    I received a grainy photo of my car with a ‘bill’ for $100 for my car doing 34 in a 20 (school zone) on 12/28/12 – and school was not in session – the speed limit signs are the typical “while chiildren are present”. Besides the picture doesn’t show the driver – can I request a court date appearance?

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on January 6, 2013 at 9:27 pm

      Yes, you can call the court clerk and tell them that you want to dispute the ticket. You will be given a court date, at which point you will have an opportunity to speak to the judge. The ticket you received is a “speed camera” ticket. These types of tickets are issued to the registered owner of the vehicle, not the driver, so it doesn’t matter if they have a photo of the driver or not. The registered owner of the vehicle is responsible for paying the fine. It’s a non-moving violation, so no points will be added to your driving record, so it’s essentially a very expensive parking ticket. If you go to court to dispute it, the judge will review the evidence (video or photograph showing your vehicle speeding, report of the police officer who reviewed the video or photograph before issuing the ticket, etc.) and the judge may ask you who was driving your vehicle at that time. Or the judge may ask for the names and addresses of all persons who have permission to drive your vehicle, so the court can pursue that person. Regarding the school zone issue: you can research the specific city ordinance that established the school zone. It’s possible that the ordinance states that it’s a violation to speed in a school zone no matter what time of day it is, whether or not school is in session.

  5. Christine on April 29, 2013 at 5:20 pm

    saw a vehicle mounted speed camera on a Bel Ridge Ford Escape taking photos this morning on 170 north not far south of the I-70 exit to Lambert Airport. At what speeds is this camera issuing tickets?

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on April 29, 2013 at 8:30 pm

      Yes, Bel-Ridge police can issue speeding tickets on a small portion of I-170. Speed camera tickets are no-point violations. I don’t know what speed triggers the Bel-Ridge speed cameras to issue tickets. You might contact the Bel-Ridge police and ask them about it, but I doubt you will receive an answer. Most police officers don’t issue tickets for speeds less than 10 miles over the speed limit, but I don’t know what the policy is for the speed cameras.

  6. al on May 9, 2013 at 8:59 am

    I recently received a speed camera ticket in Kinloch municipality–Intersection of N Hanley and Bradfield Drive. Are smaller municipalities able to write their own ordinances which violate those set by MODOT? And can there be a class action lawsuit brought against tickets paid if it is found they are in clear violation of the law?

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on May 9, 2013 at 9:42 am

      Many municipalities in the St. Louis area (and throughout the U.S.) have created ordinances that allow speed cameras and red light cameras. There have been a few challenges to the ordinances of some St. Louis area municipal courts. There is a current class action lawsuit against the red light camera tickets in St. Louis City, but the Missouri Court of Appeals has not issued its ruling in the case yet.

  7. hmr on June 10, 2013 at 12:15 am

    Al and Andrea,

    I, too, just received a ticket from the city of Kinloch at the exact same intersection. Nonmoving violation, no points. Is this worth fighting? The form consists of one picture of my plates and one my car (you cannot see the driver) with a little blurb that says how fast I was going. No other evidence, nothing. It’s also worth noting that the date of the photo was 5/21, processed 5/23; I didn’t receive the notice until 5/7 and it is due on 5/16. It’s awfully convenient for them to give a driver so little time to get their bearings about a steep fine. I’ve been doing a lot of research and found this recent case:

    I’m also going to call when I can and get the exact information on what ordinance I violated.

    If a police officer pulls me over because I messed up, then fine. They have proof in hand. To pay $150, nearly a third of which profits a shady company, with so little proof of the actual violation is maddening and near thievery.

    Is this fightable? Any advice?

  8. Cheryl Cannida-Seaborn on June 29, 2013 at 8:37 pm

    My daughter also just got 2 tickets from same camera at Bradfield and Hanley that said speeding..they are a week was 9 miles over which was $50 and the other 10 miles over which is $125..this is ridicoulous and they want her to pay them in a week or so..she barley can pay her rent. How do you even know these cameras are acurate!..Is there anything we can do about this?…Is Kinloch even suppose to do this..who is running Kinloch now?

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on June 30, 2013 at 8:19 am

      Yes, these are speed camera tickets, and they are legal. Many municipalities have passed ordinances that allow them to use speed cameras to issue tickets for speeding. These are non-moving violations, so no points will be added to your daughter’s driving record. Your daughter can call the court and ask for a court date and then go to court to dispute the tickets. The judge will ask how she pleads,and if she pleads not guilty, the judge will set it for trial. At that point, your daughter will have to decide whether she wants to represent herself or hire an attorney to represent her at trial. In my opinion, the only way to fight these tickets is to hire an attorney to challenge the constitutionality of the ordinance in court. If your daughter refuses to pay the fines, the court could legally issue a warrant for her arrest. Your daughter might want to call the court and ask what their policy is for disputing the ticket and also ask if they will issue a warrant if she refuses to pay.

  9. Kelly on July 18, 2013 at 12:59 pm

    My parents received two speeding camera tickets from Pine Lawn; however, it was either my husband, myself, or my brother who was actually driving the vehicle. Are these tickets in their computer system, as I don’t want the repercussions to affect my parents; however, we cannot afford to pay these fines right now. Are these non-moving, no point violations? Can I get a continuance simply by asking, or writing a letter? Also, I believe there is an amendment right to face your accuser, and how can this be done with a camera?

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on July 18, 2013 at 1:41 pm

      If no one pays your parents’ speed camera tickets, it will not affect their driving records because speed camera tickets are non-moving, no-point infractions. However, if no one pays the fines, then Pine Lawn Municipal Court could issue warrants for their arrest or they could turn their unpaid tickets over to a debt collection firm. If you need more time to pay, call the court and ask for a continuance of the payment due date. The clerk may grant a continuance over the phone, or you may be required to go to court and ask the judge for a continuance. If you want to dispute the ticket, call the court clerk and ask for your case to be placed on the docket. Then you would go to court on your court date and the judge will ask if you’re pleading guilty or not guilty. If you plead not guilty, the judge will set your case for trial and you will have to decide whether to represent yourself or hire an attorney to represent you.

  10. Sandy Walker on July 20, 2013 at 8:45 am

    I received a speeding ticket from St. Ann speeding camera on Ashby and Hoech. The ticket lists a time when I was at work (I have proof) and no one else drives my car. What are my chances of dismissal in court? If those cameras can be wrong about that, why couldn’t they be wrong about speed?

    • Andrea Storey Rogers on July 20, 2013 at 12:14 pm

      Yes, it sounds like something is wrong with the cameras. You can call the court and tell them you want to dispute the ticket. The court clerk will put your case on the docket and give you a court date. On the court date, bring proof to court showing that you were at work at the time the ticket was issued, and the judge will probably dismiss it.

  11. maow mix on August 9, 2013 at 10:37 am

    super helpful thank you

Leave a Comment